Student accommodation information

The College is normally able to provide accommodation to all students for the duration of their undergraduate degree and offers real value for money.

What kind of accommodation is available?

Undergraduate accommodation 

Usually, all first year students are resident in College, except for a small number of mature students will family commitments. You do not need to apply for accommodation, as it will automatically be allocated to you for your first year. 

First year students are usually housed in a building called, West House. Our current Student Accommodation Handbook provides more detailed information about the rooms and facilities in West House. 

All undergraduate offer holders commencing their studies in October will be asked to complete the online Accommodation Application and Preference Survey by late June/early July (please check your email for further information). It is very important for you to complete the survey and provide all the requested information, as this will be taken into account when allocating rooms in College accommodation.  

In early September, once all of our places have been confirmed, the room allocations will be done. Before the start of the Michaelmas Term, you will be asked to complete the online Residential Agreement relating to occupation of your room. It is important that you read its conditions carefully. Once you have submitted the Residential Agreement thereby agreeing to the terms, you will be deemed to have entered into the Residential Agreement. You only have to pay rent for the time you are actually living here, which for most undergraduate students is the eight week Cambridge term.

Postgraduate accommodation 

Homerton has purpose-built graduate accommodation in quiet surroundings on the main College site. This means that you can enjoy the Gothic surroundings of the older buildings such as the Great Hall while living in modern and well-equipped rooms. We offer rooms to all full-time graduate students whenever possible, but unfortunately are not able to accommodate part-time students. Although we are unable to guarantee accommodation to any incoming student, we aim to allocate rooms to all those who meet all of their entry conditions by 31 July of their year of arrival.

Most resident graduate students will live in Morley House and Harrison House, which offer self-catered, en-suite rooms. Accommodation is arranged in groups of five rooms, sharing a fully-fitted kitchen; there is also a common room (‘MCR’) in Morley House. We may be able to offer a few cheaper rooms to graduates in the other accommodation blocks; however rooms may be smaller, and only offer small ‘gyp-room’ kitchens, for snack preparation.

    What are the rooms in Homerton College like?

    The rooms in College are fully furnished and come with lots of storage so you can bring everything you need. Some rooms have older and more traditional features, like those located in the Cavendish building. Most rooms however are modern and up to date, like those in West House (the first-year accommodation block). Some of the older rooms have been renovated and now have en-suite bathrooms and new furniture.

    Each room is furnished with a:

    • desk
    • desk chair
    • bedside table
    • bookshelf
    • full set of bedding

    Most of Homerton’s accommodation is en-suite, however, there is the option to be housed in accommodation with shared bathrooms, which is priced accordingly. You will also have access to a shared kitchen, where you can make snacks and meals. The kitchen is usually shared with around eight other students and is equipped with:

    • lockable kitchen cupboards
    • four-ring, electric hob
    • kettle
    • toaster
    • microwave
    • fridge

    What is included in the rent? 

    All utilities are included in the rent, including WiFi, water and electricity. Each week your room will be cleaned by one of our cleaning staff. The kitchens are cleaned regularly too. A linen service is included in the rent should you want sheets and towels to be washed each week. Some students choose to have their own bedding and towels to bring a personal touch to their rooms.

    Your rent also includes use of a wide range of facilities, including the College gym, sports fields and library. It is possible to stay on during the vacation and there are a number of schemes available that can help with the cost of rent during these periods.

    Private accommodation 

    There is the option to privately rent in Cambridge. The University has its own accommodation service, which you can sign up for and apply to rent some of their listed properties. Undergraduate students tend to be placed near the bottom in terms of priority because of the accommodation offered directly by the colleges. There are also a number of private letting agencies that specialise in helping students find accommodation.

    Useful contacts

    Accommodation Officer

    Anna Maria Ercolani-Brown is the College Accommodation Officer, based in the Tutorial Office.

    Anna Maria is responsible for a number of aspects relating to students’ accommodation, including accommodation surveys and room allocation by ballot, sending out residency agreements, booking extra nights and allocating accommodation for summer internships. 

    You can contact the Accommodation Officer Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 3.15pm at or on (01223) 747123.


    To report a fault with accommodation or across the College site, please contact the Estates Secretary, Sarah Culhane at Estates Helpdesk.


    Our Housekeeping team keeps the college running. Students can find rotas for clean linen, towels and kitchen cleaning schedules posted within their accommodation.

    Any issues you can contact the Housekeeping supervisor by email:



    The HUS organises storage during vacation periods for students belongings, in the Morley House changing rooms. Students should contact the Services and Green Officer or the HUS president with queries and assistance relating to storage in the first instance.


    Students have access to card-operated washing machines and dryers on the ground floor of West House or in Paupers’ Walk.

    Cards are initially provided at registration during freshers week, but replacement cards can be purchased from the Porters Lodge. You will then need to visit for instructions on how to top up your card. There are ironing boards and irons in the launderettes. Please note ironing is not permitted in student bedrooms.


    For Further information about life at Homerton and accommodation, please have a look at the following pages:

    Extra nights

    Resident students may stay in College accommodation out of term time if they have a justifiable reason for doing so. Extra nights are for students' personal use only and will be booked in the student's name and in their term-time room when they link up with the end or start of their residency agreement. Any short stay (guest night/s) in College during the vacations will be booked in a guest room subject to availability. Guests nights outside of term time are charged at a higher rate; click the link below to see the current rates.

    Book Extra Nights online here

    Please be aware of the following:

    • All extra nights must be booked and paid for online at least 5 days before the first night is needed. If you miss the 5-day deadline you will need to pay for your extra night(s) directly at the Finance Office. A late booking charge (£2.50 per night) will apply to the normal room rate.
    • You are not guaranteed to be able to stay in your allocated/requested room. Your extra nights may be booked for a different room in your current block, or in a different block.
    • You may have other people joining your household temporarily. Students moving in temporarily (e.g. part-time students attending residentials) will need to present a negative LFT test before checking in.
    • Outside term time, normal services, such as cleaning and catering, may not be available as during term time. However, all College rules still apply - including signing visitors in and out on the visitors' book at the Porters' Lodge.
    • Any unauthorised extra nights will be charged a flat rate of £25.00 per night (regardless of the room occupied during term). No booking is confirmed until you receive an email from the Accommodation Officer.
    Accommodation ballot

    Students are asked to indicate their preferred accommodation block and any first preference for any block will be allocated straight away. However, if the first preference for a particular block is oversubscribed, priority will be given to final year students and a ballot will be held with the HUS and a waiting list drawn up. Therefore, students should note that we cannot always guarantee that they will be offered their preferred accommodation block.


    Residency Agreements

    Successful applicants will be required to accept the offer of College accommodation. An online survey will be made available in the spring for this purpose.

    Please be aware that once all terms and conditions are accepted, the residency agreement will become a legally binding document that cannot be broken except in very exceptional circumstances, such as intermission or withdrawal. Please refer to the Student Accommodation Handbook.


    Special circumstances and requirements

    It is the responsibility of students to contact their Tutor about any special circumstances or medical needs for an en-suite room or for a particular type of room and to specify the circumstances on the accommodation application.


    Friendship groups and households

    We will try to house specified 'friendship groups' together in the same household as much as possible. Friendship groups of up to 7-9 (max 12) may be requested, but unfortunately cannot always be guaranteed; you should indicate on your online application the names of your friends and ensure that all the names in the friendship groups match.

    Larger friendship groups or groups whose names do not match will be contacted by the Accommodation Officer to agree on how to best split the group.


    Fire Warden Rooms

    If you have specified that you would like to be a fire warden, you will be very likely given a fire warden room, but you must undertake a compulsory Fire Warden online training on the date and time indicated in your start of year programme, even if you have undertaken a fire warden training in the past. You cannot live in a Fire Warden room and not undertake the compulsory training.

    Music Rooms

    Certain rooms in West House, South Court and ABC are equipped with electronic pianos and have been pre-allocated for music students. If music students wish to submit applications as part of a friendship group, we will try to house the group around one of these rooms. It is a requirement that all music students occupy music rooms.

    Please let the Accommodation Officer know which music room you prefer and they will do their best to accommodate your friendship group around this room.

    The Music Rooms are:

    • West House 131, 132 Fire Warden, 331, 332 Fire Warden (usually for year 1 Music students)
    • West House 231, 232 Fire Warden (usually for year 2 Music students)
    • ABC 201, 205 (usually for year 2 or year 3 Music students)
    • South Court G11, G12, G23, 111, 125 (usually for year 3 Music students)
    Keeping full term

    Full Term is the teaching period during which students must remain in residence.

    All undergraduates have to ‘keep term’, by residing, i.e. sleeping, in Cambridge for the designated number of nights of Full Term. This is normally 60 nights. However, these nights can usually be kept within the dates of Term and allow the possibility of being absent from Cambridge for one weekend a term.

    Students must be here on Travel Day (usually the Sunday before Full Term) and may not leave the College without permission from your College Tutor and/or Director of Studies until Travel Day (usually the Saturday after Full Term).

    Students are expected to be here for classes every weekday and for some courses on Saturdays as well. Cambridge is not a nine-to-five university and some lectures, supervisions, and most social events take place in the early evenings or at weekends.

    We are aware that there will be occasions when you will need to be absent from Cambridge during Full Term, if this is the case, please seek permission from your College Tutor and/or Director of Studies stating a valid reason, and forward on any correspondence to the Tutorial Office.

    Check out

    Check out means to vacate the room, lock the door, hand all keys to the Porters’ Lodge and sign out.

    The check out time for extra nights (like guest nights) is no later than 10.00am on the morning of departure. Failure to vacate the room by 10.00am will result in a surcharge of £25.00 per night, regardless of the type of room and lost key charges for any not handed in when checking out. (Please see Rules of Payment for late/lost key charges).

    Please note that College does not accept responsibility for loss of, or damage to, personal belongings left in College during term-time or vacations.

    Guide to living out

    Guide to living out

    Student accommodation

    Student accommodation

    Accommodation FAQ

    Accommodation FAQ

    Register to vote

    Register to vote