Q. What does Changemakers offer me?
- Changemaker programmes are practical: the skills & leadership you develop will help you become an employee of choice/be ready to build your own initiative/become an effective intrapreneur in NGOs, civic leadership, arts…
- You’ll adopt an entrepreneurial approach to problem solving, a frame of mind essential for thriving in work, system-change, and in life
- You’ll deepen your capacity for building equality, diversity and justice now and in the future
- You’ll grow and develop the attributes of compassion, empathy and self-awareness, attributes crucial for your own thriving and for whole-system survival
- You’ll gain excellent leadership skills & perspectives above and beyond the academic excellence you’re already building
- You’ll find the space to reflect on yourself, becoming more self-aware and more aware of your relationship to what is happening in the world
- You’ll develop your well-being mindset and see how that can lead to profound social change too
- You’ll acquire practical skills to be future ready: mentoring, pitching, communicating, leadership, collaboration, digital reputation, problem-solving, influencing, systems-thinking, green finance
- You’ll develop and expand your networks across different disciplines as you interact with Changemakers students from different backgrounds, levels and subject expertise; and meet interesting people - business leaders, artists, philanthropists, civic leaders, funders (eg: in the virtual residentials, or mentoring scheme)
- You’ll be more aware of the real world of ‘job searching’ and business networks outside your academic group
- You’ll receive support and mentoring for ‘changemaking’ projects you want to initiate or lead
Q. What happens?
We host a suite of events - workshops, mini-virtual residentials, a 6-day Residential School, mentoring schemes, field-trips, support for projects, weekly conversations (Griffin Bar, Tuesdays, 5.15pm!) - and online resources*. You also get access to the Changemakers network (and events) after you graduate.
*Online modules will launch April 2022
Q. When & Where does it happen?
Changemaker events happen during term time and just before/after, with both online and face to face events in College.
Q. How do I get involved?
Sign up to an event, join the mailing list, drop in on a Tuesday conversation in term (5.15, Griffin Bar)!
Q. Do I have to come to all the events? Is there a programme I have to commit to?
Changemaker is entirely modular. You can come to as little or as much as you like and with a few exceptions (such as becoming a Student Ambassador) there are no minimum requirements.
Q. Who can be involved?
Any current Homerton Student or recent alumni (<5 years)
Q. Who teaches and facilitates Changemaker programmes?
Guests from within the University and beyond - civic leaders, philanthropists, business people, entrepreneurs, artists, journalists, writers, coaches, Olympians, funders. All curated by the Changemakers Team.
Q. Are there grades or exams?
No. Never. Changemakers is about your journey both now and in the longer term: it’s non-competitive and an invitation to develop your full self without external assessment.
Q. What does it cost?
Changemaker programmes are free to all students.
Q. Can I get a certificate?
At this stage we don’t offer a certificate but it’s something we hope to do soon. For now, we offer a 2-line description of Changemakers for your CV/LinkedIn profile etc.
Q. Is it the same programme every year?
We run similar programmes every year, and over two years offer deep-dives into each of the four Changemaker Areas: Being (self awareness); Thinking/Feeling (mindsets, strategies); Perspective (long term view, reality 101) & Action (practical nous).