Help and Support

At Homerton we have a diverse, welcoming community and pride ourselves on the range of support available to staff and students.

There are a variety of resources available to help in times of difficulty, whether with emotional, physical or mental health concerns. We also recognise the additional pressure our members may be experiencing due to Covid-19 and have provided extra tools and resources to help.

Support in College


College porters are on duty 24/7 and are able to respond to emergencies. Students can find the Porters in person at the Porters' Lodge or contact them directly on internal telephones (dial 47111) around the College site.

Porters are able to let emergency services onto the site or assist students in acquiring travel to a hospital if necessary. We expect students to inform the Porters if they have called the emergency services to the College site.

Personal Tutor

On joining the College, every student is assigned a College Tutor who helps them navigate life at Cambridge University. Tutors are often the first point of contact to talk through options for support in College, the University or the local community. They can give advice on academic, financial, health, family or personal issues. They can also provide a welfare referral service and direct students to additional support. A duty tutor is on call every night and can be contacted via the Porters' Lodge.

Student Health Advisor

Homerton’s Student Health Advisor, Sandy Chambers is a trained nurse and has extensive experience providing physical and mental health support. Sandy can give confidential support to students and signpost other specialist advice where appropriate. Students can find Sandy on the ground floor of West House, or she can be contacted by email or phone. 

Student Health Advisor homepage.

College Counsellor

Homerton provides a confidential counselling service for all undergraduate and postgraduate students. This gives our students the opportunity to talk about any issues they may be experiencing in a private and relaxed setting.

The College Counsellor, Catherine Snelson is a trained counsellor and psychoanalytic psychotherapist and can provide both short and long term support for students. The College also has the potential to assist students financially, to access specialist counselling elsewhere. Students can contact Catherine via email.

College Discrimination and Harassment Contacts (CDHC)

The College Discrimination and Harassment Contacts, Eireann Attridge and Georgie Horrell have responsibility for supporting students who may have experienced or are currently experiencing any form of discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct. They are also College Tutors. Students can email them directly or report an incident(s) anonymously via the College Harassment Reporting form.

HUS Student Welfare Officers

The Homerton Union of Students has elected student welfare officers (undergraduate and postgraduate) who are available for peer support in College and host events throughout the term to promote student wellbeing within the College community.


Support within the University

University Counselling Service

Students can access individual counselling support from the  University Counselling Service, who provide useful online guidance, resources and support. Group counselling is also available. The UCS is a confidential service that has helped thousands of students over recent years and has experience dealing with a wide range of problems.

Student Advice Service

The Student Advice service provides free confidential and independent advice, support and representation to all Cambridge University Students. Students can book an appointment, ask a question or find out more about the support available via their website.

Disability Resource Centre

If you are a student with a disability (including mental health conditions and learning disabilities such as dyslexia) you may wish to contact the University Disability Resource Centre. Students can register with the DRC to arrange special exam arrangements, and access support such as English and academic writing support as well as adjustments for teaching and learning.

Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor (SAHA)

The university has a dedicated SAHA who is trained as a specialist support worker. They can provide emotional and practical support to anyone who has experienced rape, sexual assault or harassment, recently or in the past. You can email them directly to arrange an appointment or complete a (secure) online ‘Pre-SAHA’ form.

Cambridge Nightline

Cambridge Nightline is a student-run active listening service, for all students in the Cambridge area. Support is available by telephone, instant message or email. You can contact Nightline anytime between 7pm and 7am during term time.

Cambridge SU

The Cambridge Student Union  represents students to the university and provides support and social opportunities for students. The SU run several liberation campaigns which serve to support, build community and represent minority groups to the wider university. Current liberation campaigns include: BME, LGBT+, Disability, Women’s, International students and Class Act (for students from underrepresented socio-economic backgrounds such as working class, and/or care-leavers).


Local Healthcare

Students are reminded to get a MenACWY vaccine  and both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine before they start University. 

We also encourage our students to register with a local medical practice at the start of their course. This can be done during the first week of full-term when our local GP surgery visits the College, or registration packs can be collected from Sandy Chambers, the Student Health Advisor. This does not usually prevent students from visiting the family doctor at home during vacations.

Local GP Practices

Woodlands Surgery
48 – 49 Bateman Street
01223 697600

Lensfield Medical Practice
48 Lensfield Road
01223 651020

Queen Edith Medical Practice
59 Queen Edith’s Way
01223 247288

Trumpington Street Medical Practice
56 Trumpington Street
01223 361611

Health care is available in Cambridge from the National Health Service (NHS). NHS care is free to students from EEA countries who come to England with an EHIC card from their member state country. You will not be able to register with a GP surgery without this card.

International students i.e. those from non EEA countries, who have paid the Immigration health surcharge are entitled to NHS care free of charge. Exemptions to this are people covered by reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK.

Leaflets explaining your rights to NHS health care are available from Social Security offices, hospitals, doctors, dentists and options and from the Department of Health Website. Fees for overseas students are also explained on the Department of Health website.

The costs of repatriation after a serious accident are not covered by NHS funding; as such students are advised to take out insurance against unexpected travel and medical expenses. Students coming to Cambridge from other parts of the United Kingdom should bear in mind that not all Area Health Authorities provide the same range of treatments. Those in need of continuing treatment for a pre-existing condition should ask their home GP to liaise with the Cambridgeshire Health Authority.

Please note that this advice is intended for guidance only. It remains the responsibility of any student who has concerns about health care provision to contact their local health care provider for advice

Latest from The Homersphere

View all