We encourage our students to register with a local medical practice at the start of their course.
This can be done when you arrive in Cambridge, or online (for many, but not all, GP practices). This does not usually prevent students from visiting the family doctor at home during vacations.
Find a local GP Surgery
48-49 Bateman Street
Lensfield Medical Practice
48 Lensfield Rd
Queen Edith Medical Practice
59 Queen Edith’s Way
Trumpington Street Medical Practice
56 Trumpington Street
- Students are reminded to get a MenACWY vaccine and both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine before they start University.
- Health care is available in Cambridge from the National Health Service (NHS). NHS care is free to students from EEA countries who come to England with an EHIC card from their member state country. You will not be able to register with a GP without this card.
- International students i.e. those from non-EEA countries, who have paid the immigration health surcharge are entitled to NHS care free of charge. Exemptions to this are people covered by reciprocal healthcare agreements with the UK.
- Leaflets explaining your rights to NHS health care are available from social security offices, hospitals, doctors, dentists and options and from the Department of Health website. Fees for overseas students are also explained on the Department of Health website.
- The costs of repatriation after a serious accident are not covered by NHS funding; as such students are advised to take out insurance against unexpected travel and medical expenses. Students coming to Cambridge from other parts of the United Kingdom should bear in mind that not all Area Health Authorities provide the same range of treatments. Those in need of continuing treatment for a pre-existing condition should ask their home GP to liaise with the Cambridgeshire Health Authority.
Please note that this advice is intended for guidance only. It remains the responsibility of any student who has concerns about health care provision to contact their local health care provider for advice
Find a dentist
There are a number of NHS dentists in Cambridge. Please use the Find a Dentist tool for the latest NHS availability.
If you need emergency dental treatment you can contact the Dental Access Centre.